This time of year everyone talks about New Years resolutions, losing weight, becoming a better person, blah, blah, blah…Personally I have never been a fan of New Years resolutions most last a total of 1 month, the better ones last until spring break. The gyms are crowded and honestly people are just wasting their money. I am not saying one bit that I don’t want people to be healthy or happy, but you have to do it right. Often when people set out to make New Years Resolutions they are trying the latest fad diet, or following some regimented list of steps in order to become ________ (fill in blank here).
That being said I DO fully support life style changes and personal wellness goals. If they happen to start at the New Year great, but they don’t have too! Many of your blogs I have been reading lately have highlighted 2010 as well as looking at goals to set into 2011. So I sat down to do the same, personal reflection is something I like to do from time to time to check in on my overall health. This is what I came up with.
2010 in review and how I plan to combat the slip-ups in 2011
I don’t have much blog history to review in 2010 being as this is all still so very new to me, so I’ll fill you in on the non-blogged 2010. It has been one of the best years of my life. There I said it. 2009 was the year that brought a TON of lifestyles changes for me, and 2010 has been the year of maintenance and continued growth in just about every aspect of my life. Here are the top 5:
1) In Jan 2009 I became a Christian and began a personal walk with god. In 2010 I have been tested in various areas of my faith and god has taught me so much about why his plan is so much better than my own. I absolutely slipped up at times, and would go days without a quiet time or I would be really stressed out and get pretty judgmental. But eventually god would pull me back and I would be reminded his plan is WAYYY better and I cannot do it without him.
- I plan to make quiet time each day a priority
- I want to try to love on others more
2) This past summer I supercharged my workout routine. I’ve always been a runner and loved to workout but it has often been for the wrong reasons. I have also been in a bit of a workout rut ever since I went to college (June 2007), but this summer I fell in love with running yet again. I also began strength training which I have never done on a regular basis let alone stick with it for more than a few weeks.
- This year I aim to continue to enjoy running, and when I need to take time off it is OK! Also to keep a balance with all of my workouts. A healthy mix of running and strength training, not all or none.
3) I have always had a love for food and cooking, but in the past it has been a very unhealthy relationship. In 2010 I began cooking and experimenting with food even more than I have in the past and not because I was trying to control every ingredient that went into the food, but because I sincerely LOVED being in the kitchen! I also have developed a healthy relationship with food. I for once in my life am not counting calories and agonizing over food. I am simply enjoying what I want in moderation. I finally know what and how much food my body is comfortable consuming. I am in touch with my hunger ques. I also developed a love for food photography…. I guess a food blog really was in my future!
- In 2011 I want to continue to my healthy relationship with food
- I have about a billion recipes I want to explore and share with you!
- I want to have a garden and can some of the produce from it…. nothing tastes better than home-grown tomatoes in the middle of winter!
4) In 2009 I began dating Andrew and in 2010 we continued to share a very healthy and fantastic relationship together!
- My only goal here is to continue to grow as a couple and share many many more happy memories and years together.
5) I have successfully changed my life and have become the woman I have strived to be for YEARS! I am fully looking forward to continuing this balanced life despite the ups and downs that may be thrown my way in 2011. I am ready to handle them, after all I’ve got god on my side and a whole bunch of amazing friends and family. 🙂
Thanks for listening to the hum drum of my life. I hope you all have a fantastic New Years Eve celebration and a wonderful New Years day! I will be back with plenty of kitchen and fitness ho hums in the next week. I am currently working on a cold weather running post. Blessings in the New Year to you all!
“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you,
you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”
~ John 15: 5